Wheather you have been eating sushi forever, or you are a newbie to Japanese cusine, it’s always good to know the poper etiquette. At 720 Fusion Fresh, we want you to enjoy your meal to the fullest – no matter if you eat sushi here or anywhere else in the world. Below are a few sushi etiquette tips that you can use no matter where your sushi adventures take you.
- Do appreciate the rice. It is really crazy how much time and energy chefs put into the rice. In Japan, chefs spend up to 10 years learning just how to make the rice – it’s an art form. The biggest compliment for the chef is when someone shows appreciation for the rice.
- Do drink something traditional with sushi. That means sake, beer, or green tea.
- Do enjoy the pickled ginger as a palate cleanser. Eat it between different kinds of sushi. Don’t eat the ginger in the same bite as nigiri.
- Do ask for a new pair of chopsticks if you see a splinter in the wood.
- Don’t douse the sushi in soy sauce. It overpowers the flavor of the fish. Make sure you are just dipping, rather than soaking, the fish. Also, people often make the mistake of adding too much wasabi to their soy sauce and it becomes a paste. To avoid this, try putting a little wasabi directly on the sushi, then dipping it in the soy sauce.
- Don’t rub your chopsticks together. It’s considered an insult, suggesting the quality of the chopsticks is poor.
- Don’t just focus on the fish. There are so many core ingredients that you should be aware of: Rice, vinegar, seaweed, soy sauce, wasabi, ginger, and so on. Any good sushi restaurant can purchase an expensive fish, but to know how to make great sushi rice to create a perfect connection between the rice and sushi ingredients is the key.
- Don’t be afraid. Dining at a sushi bar is a great opportunity to try new things and learn more about sushi. Do ask questions, the chef will be happy to talk to you.
If you want to have an authentic Asian food experience, we invite you to 720 Fusion Fresh. You’ll have plenty of authentic sushi and other delicious food options to choose from. Sit back, relax, and let our versatile culinary staff dazzle you with 720 Fusion Fresh’s unique specialties that will keep you coming back for more.